Friday, April 15, 2011

Fashion Forward

Three weeks ago, on my way to school, my phone blinked and sounded off as a text message came in. Since I was driving, I knew I was supposed to ignore it so I scolded myself for reaching the gadget resting on the passenger seat of the car. I had a good feeling about the message so I hurriedly read it as I slowed down to a stop at the intersection. I was being booked to shoot an event for Inquirer and that I should check my email for details, yay!!

Upon arriving home, I went straight for my laptop & retrieved my mail. It said that I was to go to Enderun College and cover the Pure Fashion event happening on saturday. Great! Its a fashion show! This should be easy. Another good thing about this is that the writer, Kara, that they were sending to cover the event was someone I worked with before, and we've had soooo much fun every time we go to events together. This should be easy breezy! :)

Saturday. I arrived at Enderun an hour early. I was hoping to grab some lunch at any McDonald's drive thru but the route I took didn't have any branch on the way (yes THAT is possible) so I had hoped to grab a bite at the college. Tough luck! When I got there, the school caf was closed to the public for the parents college tour and that they were serving food to the visiting daddies & mummies. Hmph! I decided to take a preliminary look at the event location instead so I can scout around for good places to shoot. It will also help me find out what the event is all about. I asked myself "I wonder why they picked a college to host the event that's fashion based?"

The main event hall was already prepared with the event organizers running around doing last minute rehearsals. There was no real clue in the hall as to what the event is all about. Looking through the left-hand glass doors outside the main event hall, I saw a tent with some mannequins lined up close to photo portraits of teenagers complete with write ups. "Its a young fashion designer type of workshop!" I thought to myself. I stepped outside & decided to take some shots of the display. I'm sure Kara could probably use the supporting images for her article.

Kara arrived shortly and after hellos and a few catch up kwentos, I asked her what she knew about the event. She didn't have a clue either so we both threw guesses in the air, knowing we could both be right with those ideas. We were just excited to work together and also watch the musical talents invited for a short performance within the event.

The event opened with famous radio jocks Gino & Fran. Known for their fast wit & cheeky comments, I'm already assured of a fun afternoon. They then proceeded to introduce the event and also discussed what Pure Fashion is all about. Kara & I were in for a big surprise. As it turns out, Pure Fashion is a faith-based program that encourages teen girls to live, act, and dress in accordance with their dignity as children of God. Its a 7 month, voluntary, sign up program where female teens ranging from 14-18 years old are taught to use fashion to enhance their beauty without coming across as provocative. With that they are also taught the values of self-respect, confidence & chastity. They are regarded as the models/supermodels of Pure Fashion as they should be the role models of teens everywhere.

Beautiful on the outside, as well as on the inside. Wow.

This fashion show was the culminating part of the program where they get to walk on their own runway and "graduate" from the program. The partner sponsor for their outfits was Forever 21. The girls gave their individual testimonies and also performed a skit, a musical number as well as their fashion show. The artists that performed were home grown rising star Someday Dream & international musician and Youtube sensation Marie Digby.
Both artists very supportive of the campaign of this program.

After the event, Kara & I had the chance to speak to various organizers of the event as well as the supermodels of Pure Fashion. They speak differently from the girls their age and you can feel a deeper of sense of self from them. You can clearly see it has transformed them in a big way. I was surprised that Pure Fashion here in the Philippines is already on their 3rd year & yet not a lot of people have heard of it. I sincerely hope that the newspaper article gives more awareness of the beauty of this program so that more girls can sign up. And even if they can't fit into the slots, at least it sparks interest & hopefully nudges girls everywhere to take a step towards a better handling of their growth. Personally, emotionally & spiritually.

I had my own epiphany on the way back home & I felt like God was working his magic. Although I won't post my thoughts on this blog, I can proudly say that my past decisions have now been justified. I hope I can use all the positive energy to spin a new web of happiness for me and for all the people I touch.



Article in Philippine Daily Inquirer out on April 16, 2011 at http://lifestyle.inquirer.net/2bu/2bu/view/20110416-331374/gtIts-not-what-you-wear-but--who-you-are

For more information about Pure Fashion, visit http://www.purefashion.com/

1 Comments:

At 11:18 PM, Blogger emip. said...

Great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home