Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Street Style Hunter

When I decided I'd go back to photography, I never thought I'd be style hunting. Sure, I'm an avid fan of fashion, but I wasn't the type who'd dress up everyday. Our humid weather stopped me from executing the layered look (which is what I prefer on me). That didn't stop me, however, from appreciating those who did brave the unpredictable rain or heat that would surprise us everyday. I always had my point & shoot with me at all times (well, now I can't seem to find it since my sister & I shuffle it back & forth this past year depending on who wants to use it).

One night when I was out on a gimik with my friends, we spotted a party-goer that was dressed like Grimace of Mcdonald's.
My friend Dan & I just looked at each other & we knew that we had to stifle our laughter. Soon, people started coming dressed in outfits that were just so wrong... I couldn't resist taking stolen shots of them.


I ended up doing a blog (privately locked for just my contacts of course).

My sister, former Editorial Coordinator-now Associate Editor for a local fashion magazine, saw the blog and suggested that I hunt for people with good fashion taste instead & that it might be used as part of the lifestyle section in the local newspaper where her friend is a contributing editor. My first theme was awesome jeans.


I was reviving my photography from its decade-long slumber & was eager to try out any project. Hunting down people with good jeans and asking them to pose sounded simple enough in theory, but when I started doing it, it was a real challenge! Especially since I had to check out their butts for interesting patterns on the pockets!! Sad to say the pictures never made it to print.





This lead to another project -- summer street fashion.
Imagine my glee when I saw my name on the papers with my photos!!! After that, I was given a regular assignment to take photos of people with a good sense of style.
I will admit, I always have fun coming up to people and introducing myself as a contributing photographer for a local newspaper.
It feels nice to meet such trendy individuals who are confident with their fashion sense. Well, they ought to be confident & proud! They dress nicely!

I love the fact that I get to go around different places when I hunt. You can find me in the streets of Taft, the alleyways behind DLSU, the malls, in bazaars, parks & restos!


Every place is an opportunity to hunt! Although I will admit, there will be days where you've looked and looked and LOOKED and you'll call yourself lucky if you come home with one decent photo! Sigh! But that's the challenge! And I love it! ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home