Sunday, March 27, 2011

the Isle of Boracay on three

The first time I was in Boracay, I was healing from a broken heart. The second time I set foot on the island, I just came out of a 2 year relationship that ended terribly. So when I was asked to cover an event in Boracay, I was wondering if I had any issues of the heart that needed attention. Because as far as I know, I feel fine. Maybe just this once, I am on the island with fine sand to just enjoy.

My day started out really early. It was a 630am flight. I had nothing to eat yet so when I was done checking in, I got myself a chocolate croissant from Delifrance :)

The flight was packed with people! Who would've thought that flying to a beach on a Tuesday would be a common thing to do at this time of the year? LOL! On top of that, the flight was delayed and the aircon wasn't enough for everyone. I was sleepy, because I crammed again with my packing, and craving for a rice meal. Upon landing in Caticlan, the gray clouds were rolling in, not a good sign. The travel to the hotel was a a little bumpy and I was dizzy in an instant. Again, my stomach growled for the nth time. In short, it was a bad morning.

All that changed when I got to the hotel. I just love the architecture of the Shangrila! All that stone and wood! The open panels and palm trees! Lots of fountains and cascading water! Sigh!!!!

Just when I was just starting to relax, duty calls, toinks! Had to shoot the arrival of the rest of the top brass from the company that was having their annual national conference. Breakfast and lunch will have to wait!

Two hours later, I was fortunate to have some room service. Im too tired to move around anyway. Seafood Paella. Yum. Finally I'm starting to feel the Boracay vibe!

After the briefing, I had the afternoon off so I decided to head down to the beach and see how Boracay is this time of the year. Two words - daming Koreans! >_<




I just soaked in the colors of the beach while I got myself colored too!! When dusk came, I got myself a simple dinner, bought a few snacks from the mini grocery and headed back to my hotel room.















My room mate and co-photographer for the event was busy watching the news (which I am not in the mood for) so I just went down the lobby and used the free wifi to update myself at twitter & foursquare till I felt the zombie like sluggish feeling of sleepiness creep all over me. Tomorrow is gonna be a long battle.

At 5am, my alarm snapped me out of bed. Quick shower and a big breakfast followed suit. At 7am, I was already shooting at the reception area for the conference. Blast it! I totally forgot to bring beach-type polos and really stood out in my Vneck & jeans get up. Oh well, work is work!



I was shooting nonstop till about 1pm and had the blessing of dining in the hotel restaurant. Surprise of surprises, my old teammate from ice skating now works here as a chef! Woohoo!! She made me seafood pasta fresh from the pan! Dont'cha just love friends? Haha!

After a few more glasses of iced tea, Im back on my feet, shooting the rest of the conference. I must say, no wonder they're the leader in their industry... they're solid, tough and strategic! Above all that. they're happy people!! :)

Finally, there was a 4 hour break as the conference adjourned and everyone was given time to get ready for dinner and the awards night (sosyal!). I just went into the activity room and for 5 minutes... tried to decide if I should play billiards, monopoly or surf the net. Well, the 5 minutes i spent arguing with myself left me with the computer since the conference people stormed in and occupied all the other games LOL. Its Facebook games for me then! Haha!


By 6pm, with a polo on this time, I took photos of the people now decked in evening wear. Since the beach dinner got rained on, there was a slight delay as the hotel staff had to setup at the restaurant. Group photos galore for these yuppies who let their hair down for tonight's event. You can hear me count " 1, 2, 3..." almost every 10 seconds LOL

When dinner was served, I took the option of going behind the buffet tables to get the photos of the people lining up for the food. "It'll make for an interesting view!" I told one of the HR staff who had an inquisitive look as to why I went behind the buffet counters. As usual, they were all smiles. The digital age has made cam whores out of everybody haha! In the meantime, the smell of freshly cooked bolognese and carbonara was driving me mad!!

An hour later, I got the chance to sit down and have my dinner. Oddly enough, I didn't have the appetite. Must be all that sniffing I did behind the buffet counter while taking photos that got to me. Oh well, towel.

Awards night! Simple enough. Call the name, "smile here please!", wait for the next one. And then the intermission arrives. Its FREESTYLE!!!! They play 2 songs in between award sets and of course, they are the party band for the night! Dance to the music? Optional... hell no! Mandatory!!! Haha!

During the party phase, I was getting decent shots. But I can't see most of their faces.... what to do? what to do??? Well.... I just had to GET UP ON STAGE YO!! hahaha!!

Perfect! I got me some great audience shots! Well, since I'd look stupid standing there, I might as well dance! (Yes, I did this, and I haven't even had a shot of vodka yet LOL)

Three hours later, I with my sore feet and new friends from the crowd, the client waved that I was done for the day. It was a few minutes shy of midnight. Great, my carriage will be a pumpkin by the time I get to the parking hahaha!

Checking my BB, I had an invite from a grade school classmate who I haven't seen since 1993, who was also in Boracay that time. I just didn't know if I had the energy.

A dip in the hot tub did seal my fate. I shall stay in tonight.

On my last morning, I enjoyed my breakfast. No rushing that day. On my way back to my room, my calamansi muffins from Real Coffee arrived on time. Looking out into the Boracay sky, everything seemed in place. I am sure then, that for the first time, I came to Boracay to just enjoy. I smiled to myself I as I headed back to my room to gather my things and start my trip back to Manila.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home