Sunday, July 02, 2006

Beaches & Hospitals

story written december 2005


I have visited neither a beach nor a hospital in almost 12 years. My last memory visiting both was during the summer of my 15th year. I was brought to the hospital for treatment of my 1st degree burn sustained from a motorcycle incident. A few weeks later, my family & I set off on a road trip; stopping by the beach after spending a few days in Baguio. Incidentally, the dip in the salty water hastened my burned leg’s healing process that by the time school opened, I’m all healed. From that moment on, I have never set foot on either of those places. Year 2005, I would have my fill of both.

With my Dad diagnosed with lung cancer during the last quarter of year 2004, we all knew that things would be different come the New Year. Christmas, for the first time, brought about mixed emotions as we celebrated in our living room. Happy, that for the nth time, we were all together. A small family of four members; a core team of a father & mother, a son & a daughter. At the stroke of midnight, the usual sounds emanating from our living room could be heard if you were the cat that would hang out in our garage. Wrapping paper being torn, oohs & aahs, my sister Ronna squealing with delight, my mother & father exchanging gifts & reading out the various friends from the shipping industry who have given them a little something. Mom pointing out how every year, less & less of their usual circle of friends would have a present under the tree. Yes, life has definitely gotten hard & has not improved even under the promises of the presidents that have come & gone. Meanwhile, I, having a platito of dessert whilst opening presents, will be filtering the gifts into things I can use, things I will keep though I have no use for them, and those gifts that I can recycle. Hey! I appreciate the gesture, but if someone else will benefit from a tent-like shirt that is totally off my usual get-up, even if it is Guess, then so be it! There was, of course, a looming sadness over us all. The battle for survival placed upon my father had begun. Emotionally, we were all gearing up for battle. “It’s gonna be a long year” I sighed, as I looked at my dad across the room. Little did I know how “long” it would be when the fireworks went up a week later.

to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home